My Resolutions for a Year of Speaking
Jan 20, 2015
I intend this year to be one when I polish up my speaking skills so that I can be a success. So, what shall I resolve to do?
- I'm not going to be as afraid when I speak to an audience as I've been before ... I know that they want me to succeed so I'll treat them as individuals and look at each one of them while I'm speaking.
- I'm going to be really well-prepared before I speak. Even if I use notes I'm going to KNOW my speech well so that I don't need to refer to my notes very often – and I'm certainly not going to read them!
- I WILL practise more – they say that practice makes perfect, so I'll apply that to my speaking in public. Practising a speech will help me KNOW the speech well, so that I'll be able to deliver it properly. I'll also practise in front of friends and family so as to help me gain confidence in speaking in front of people.
- I'll do as much speaking in public as I can because that's another way to gain confidence.
- I know that at work I'll sometimes have to speak 'off the cuff' so I'll practise that as well. I'll also make sure I'm confident in using PowerPoint properly and avoid subjecting my audience to 'Death by PowerPoint'.
- I'm always going to aim to improve, so I'll seek out any courses in public speaking that I think will help me.